THE PERFECT WEDDING
Planning your day…three key details
Written by Becks | 19th June 2017
The excitement of your engagement can often turn into overwhelm of “How do I get from here, (being blissfully engaged) to actually walking down the aisle?”.
How do you set the date? Do you check that your loved ones can make the date first? Or perhaps get your venue sorted? Or book the registrar and officiant? How do you budget for your wedding? Who do you invite? And then there is all the details of the day to be planned and booking your suppliers to help you achieve your perfect day…
…it feels like a lot of the planning needs to be done all at the same time, especially if you are planning on a short engagement – but you can create your perfect wedding in a matter of a few months (and enjoy every minute!)…
The three key details you need to set first:
(have a couple of dates in mind whilst you check availability with the the other key details)
- is there a particular time of year you would prefer to get married?
- would you love an indoor or outdoor wedding or have elements of your day outdoors
- chat with close friends and family, anyone your day would not be complete without, to give them a heads up to keep their diary clear and ‘pencil you in’ (- as my Grandad would say)
- what day of the week? would you love to make a weekend of celebrations? what is your idea of your perfect wedding? (note: some venues offer discounts for early to mid week-day weddings)
– Wedding Ceremony / Reception (Idea of Date / Guest List / Budget )
- you’ll need an idea of guest list numbers to help you choose the best suited venue for your celebration
- outdoor / indoor space
- check availability of your preferred venues for your dates and arrange visits
- see what services they include – do they hold a wedding license? do you need to book a registrar? catering? bar? recommendations for entertainment…? how will it effect your budget?**
- accessibility for all your guests
** it is not until you start looking around that you are then able to begin to identify what your budget can work to – start with a ball park figure in mind and creatively think around options presented eg. would if be more budget friendly to bring in your own caterers / hire a marquee / serve a buffet / are you able to supply your own drinks / is the fee inclusive of table hire etc
Note: found the perfect place? – ask if the venue will provisionally hold the booking for you whilst you confirm your Officiant. Most places will be happy to hold for around 24 hours, or will let you know if there is another interested party. It is in your best interest (and theirs) to book as soon as you are ready as it is one less thing to have to organise, and you can start working on all the fun parts!
Your Registrar / Officiant
(Idea of Date / Time / Wedding Ceremony Venue)
- if you are having a church wedding ceremony check the minister / officiant and the church are available for your selection of dates
- contact your own and your fiancés local registry offices to give notice of your intent to marry
- check if there is a registrar available for your selection of dates
Note: for your appointment with the registry office you’ll need to take along requested identity documentation (generally your passport and driver’s license detailing your current address – or alternatively, your birth certificate and a recent bank statement to your current address)
Once you have a date that fits…
…confirm your bookings with your registrar / officiant and venues, then create and send out your official ‘Save the Dates’* – include your names and your wedding date – you don’t need to have decided on any of the other details of your day just yet.
So why are these three the key details? – they are all the foundations you need in place to be legally wed! With these corner stones confirmed, everything else should fall neatly into place…
* Need a ‘Save the Date’ card designed and printed for you?
If you are planning your wedding eight or more months ahead – you can beautifully co-ordinate your ‘Save the Date’ card with your Paper Buttercup Stationery Collection Design – all ordered and printed at the same time! This will not only help save you money, but will perfectly set the scene for your day with a consistent look and style personal to you, provide you with a unique experience with the option of handcrafted by you (as well as setting you up to be the most organised bride!)
Next steps: start exploring your theme – the fun part!
Researching all the different options that are laid out before you for every single service, supplier or item you need can be narrowed down by creating your very own personal mood board which brings everything back to the two of you & your wedding date (always start from this point as it is creating your day, your way).
Just a heads up – you will more than likely get pulled in different directions by well-meaning family and friends with lots of ideas on what you should do, could do, and must do, and sometimes things they wish they had done – it’s all good information… (but take a breath) and the ideas on board, if you and your fiancé like the idea AND it fits your personal mood board you are on to a winner!
Want to discover more about creating a beautiful theme and style for your wedding?
Book an online consultation with me today for personal designer input and insight, giving you confidence in the foundations and decisions for your day: