New name and address? – Where to start… 

Written by Becks

It is important to update your personal details as they change – and it is not until you need to update them that you realise just how many different authorities, providers and services your records are individually registered with… In some cases you will need separate notification forms; one for an address change and another for name changes, along with original documentation for identification and as evidence, others require a quick letter or phone call. So where do you start? Here’s your check list to get you sorted and up-to-date, as stress-free as possible!


1/ DOCTOR / DENTIST / PENSION PROVIDER / ACCOUNTANT – these are the simplest ones. Photocopy your Marriage Certificate (fit to page). Write a covering letter detailing your change of details and enclose a copy of your Marriage Certificate. Done. (Keep an extra photocopy of your Marriage Certificate to hand just incase). 


2/ INSURANCE – home / business / car / health / pet etc. These can usually be updated online or with a quick phone call to your insurance provider.


3/ BANK – change of address can usually be done online simply by updating your details on your account. If you don’t have an online account you can download the relevant forms from your bank’s website ready to take into your branch. Name changes need supporting documentation as evidence – in most cases your original Marriage Certificate and some form of ID eg. drivers licence or passport (in your maiden name is fine as this is what your account is currently under). Check with your bank to see if they require any other documentation then head into your local branch with your marriage certificate / forms you’ve filled in and supporting documentation – they’ll photocopy your certificate and hand it back to you there and then – sorted!

N.B. Business bank accounts may need you to send them the original Marriage Certificate, if so – update once you have completed your DVLA updates as there is a penalty of up to £1000 for failure to keep your DVLA licence up-to-date*.

Once you’ve updated your personal bank accounts head straight to the next step…


4/ *DVLAupdating your driving license and your vehicle registration.

Your driver’s licence; if you still have the paper counterpart D740 you can fill in this to update your address. You need to obtain a D1 FORM available from either your post office or order online https://www.gov.uk/change-name-driving-licence to change your name and address. Add a covering letter and include supporting original documents DVLA request (original Marriage Certificate / driver’s licence D740 (both paper counterpart and card) / D1 Form plus a stamped addressed envelope for the safe return of your Marriage Certificate). Note: the paper counterparts are no longer issued – your new licence will be just the photo card.

For your Vehicle Registration Certificate V5C; fill in your new details (Part 6) of your V5C certificate and sign with your new signature (part 8) and send to DVLA

Note: DVLA have different postcodes for the licence and the registration to be sent to. It is recommended to send both of these as recorded delivery (as well as the stamped addressed envelope to return your Marriage Certificate) – your post office will be able to advise you.


5/ HMRC – keep your details up-to-date for your personal and business tax affairs https://www.gov.uk/tell-hmrc-change-address


6/ PASSPORT – at time of writing the cost to update and re-issue a UK passport is £72.50, you’ll be able to carry over up to nine months from your old passport to your new one. You can fill in a form online: https://www.gov.uk/apply-renew-passport print and send off along with your original Marriage Certificate and current passport.

Need a new passport before your ceremony? You can apply for a passport in your new name up to 3 months before your ceremony Find out more here: https://www.gov.uk/changing-passport-information/name-marriage-and-civil-partnership

Note: The name on your passport must match the one you use when you book your travel.


7/ VETS / PET ID CHIPS – keep your pets safe by updating their details too…


8/ SUBSCRIPTIONS / MEMBERSHIPS / DIRECT DEBITS – don’t forget to update your details with clubs / gym / national trust memberships etc. See if there are benefits and savings for holding joint memberships! Once you have received your new bank cards – check where your cards are registered for direct debits and update accordingly to ensure smooth transitions and avoid any overdue fees: bills / mobile phone / memberships…


9/ REDIRECT YOUR MAIL – Changing address? Help protect against identity fraud by redirecting your mail  http://www.royalmail.com/start-your-redirection-p2?PSID=Google_PPC&cid=RD0417_PQ1_SM_24


What extra costs are incurred? Other than the passport fee the extra costs so far have mainly been postage. You may find your insurance premiums might alter with a change of address but your provider will let you know at the time.


Applying and opening new bank accounts / joint accounts: I recommend going into your chosen bank and applying in person if possible. We started our application online thinking this would be the quickest route but discovered the account would have been up and running a lot quicker and simpler if we had applied in person. You will need your Marriage Certificate / identity documentation – driver’s licence or passport and proof of address (eg. utility bill – proof of address is usually only required if you don’t already have an account with the bank).


Once it’s done – phew! – you are back to being one person again!!!

Let me know your top tips in the comments below.

© 2017 inkshed design studio. All rights reserved